How to Make Your First Sale
A step-by-step guide on setting up an online store and making your first sale.
Making your first sale is a major milestone for any business. But before you start selling, it’s important to set up your online store for success. With Squarespace’s all-in-one platform, you can create a digital storefront that is optimized for ecommerce. This step-by-step guide will help you reach that milestone so you can continue to effectively build your brand and grow your business.
01. Set up your online store
02. Connect a payment processor
03. Go live
04. Add a discount
05. Boost your online store’s SEO
06. Get the word out
07. Start building an email list
08. Drive traffic to your website
09. Use analytics to gain insights
- Abandoned Cart - Get insight into abandoned carts and the success of Abandoned Checkout Recovery emails.
- Activity Log - See a searchable list of every time a visitor accessed a URL on your site in the past seven days. Includes IP addresses.
- Form & Button Conversions - Track how visitors engage with your forms and buttons using Form & Button Conversions.
- Geography - View site visits by country, region, or city.
- Google Search Keywords - See which search keywords drive the most traffic to your site from Google.
- Purchase Funnel - See a visual report on your store’s sales funnel and conversion rate.
- Sales By Product - See how each item you sell is performing.
- Traffic - Get insight into traffic and engagement trends and track your audience’s growth over time.
- Traffic Sources - See where visitors come from when they visit your site by channel. If you’re on the Commerce Basic or Advanced Plan, you can see how much revenue each channel—like social, email, and direct traffic—drives to your business.
Set up your online store
Find a template that works best for your business.
Connect a payment processor
Enable transactions with your customers.
Open your online store for business.
Add a discount
Welcome your new customers.
Boost your online store’s SEO
Add new and relevant content.
Get the word out
Start marketing your online store.
Start building an email list
Collect visitors’ email addresses.
Drive traffic to your website
Create targeted ads.
Use Analytics to gain insight
Learn from customer behavior.
Expert Customer Care
Need some help with your website? Reach out to our Customer Support Team via email or live chat. Customer Care Advisors are highly trained and work with Designers and Engineers in our New York City, Dublin, and Portland offices. They have deep Squarespace knowledge and are ready to help whenever you need it.